The Illustrated London News

Home | About | Introduction | Bibliography | Articles | Illustrations | Search | Links

[On the 16th of June]

The Illustrated London News, vol. 47, no. 1323, p. 11.

July 8, 1865

On the 16th of June a stone monument, 27 ft. high, was erected, with due ceremonial, on a crest a little south of Henry-house, "in memory of the patriots who fell at Bull Run, July 21, 1861." The spot selected is where Heintzelman's division made their hardest fight, but were finally driven back by Kirby Smith. A considerable force of troops was on the ground, and a large company of civilians; proper religious exercises were gone through, some addresses delivered, and then a salute was fired by Captain Smith's Massachusetts battery on the same spot where Rickett's battery was captured. The battle-field itself presents few evidences of the engagement. Here and there a mound indicates a grave, but they are not numerous; and the only relic found was an old musket barrel.

Previous: Imperial ParliamentArticleVolume 47, no. 1323, p. 2 (20 paragraphs)
Next: The Island of SombreroArticlevol. 47, no. 1323, p. 17-18 (1 paragraph)
Article List for: Illustrated London News: Volume 47

Download Article as Plain Text

Search Entire Text

Keyword
Title
Article Date

University Libraries | Beck Center | | Emory University
A Joint Project by Sandra J. Still, Emily E. Katt, Collection Management, and the Beck Center.

Powered by TEI