Railroad-BatteryThe Illustrated London News, vol. 38, no. 1094, p. 575.
June 22, 1861
A SINGULAR engine of war has just been completed in the United States. The determination of the Federal Government to reconstruct the bridges on the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore Railroad, destroyed by a mob from Baltimore, has led to the construction of a railroad-battery by the Federal Government at the locomotive works of Baldwin and Co., of Philadelphia. One of the long platform baggage-cars has been fixed with sides and top of thick sheet iron, the sides having portholes and loopholes for musketry. A turn-table has been arranged, on which a rifled cannon is to be placed. The carriage for the gun is so constructed that it can be fired at any angle, and from any one of the portholes in the sides and end of the car. In place of shot or shell from the cannon, pieces of iron punched from locomotive boilers will be used as loads. This car is to be placed in front of a locomotive, with fifty men inside, armed with Minié rifles, and with seamen to work the cannon.